HelpBlocks Frequently Asked Questions
About HelpBlocks |
Licensing and Support |
- Why was HelpBlocks created?
- HelpBlocks was written to address the need for creating online help for
multiple platforms. Because it is geared specifically to generating help
files, it can be made much easier to use than a general HTML editor.
- Is HelpBlocks just for wxWidgets applications?
- No, HelpBlocks can be used in conjunction with any toolkit. wxWidgets HTML Help can be
used as a standalone viewer.
- What platforms are supported by HelpBlocks?
- All recent 32-bit desktop Microsoft Windows platforms - that's Windows 98, Windows ME,
Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista.
- i386 Linux with GTK+ 2 installed.
- Mac OS 10.3.9 and above.
- What hardware is required by HelpBlocks?
- Hardware requirements are modest: 100MHz Pentium, 256-colour or greater video card,
32MB RAM, 4MB hard disk space.
- What tools were used to develop HelpBlocks?
HelpBlocks is programmed with the popular open source (free) GUI toolkit, wxWidgets,
created in 1992 by HelpBlocks' author, Julian Smart. wxWidgets is being used
by organisations large and small all over the world.
Licensing and Support
- How much does HelpBlocks cost?
- Please see the purchase page for pricing information.
- Will upgrades be free?
- All HelpBlocks upgrades and bug fixes in the same major version will be free. You can download
new versions of HelpBlocks as many times as you like.
- Do I pay for each operating system I run HelpBlocks on?
- Each separate user must buy a separate copy, one copy each. But
if you want to run HelpBlocks on both Windows and Linux, for example,
then you only pay once. The license is not tied to a particular
- What's the license for generated files?
- All generated files are the property of the user and can be issued under
any desired license.
- Can I use the same registration key for HelpBlocks both at home
and at work?
- Absolutely. You can use the same registered copy of HelpBlocks on multiple
machines so long as only one copy is being used at a time. In fact we'd
very much encourage you to install HelpBlocks wherever you can take a few
minutes to do some writing.
- What do I do if I've lost
my registration key?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll
find your key.
- How can I get support?
- Please see the Support page.
- Are you responsive to suggestions?
- Yes! Anthemion Software is a small, friendly company and we are delighted
to receive feedback from our users. We want to build the best-of-breed tools
so getting back 'reports from the field' will help us to serve you better.
- How can I learn more about the preprocessor?
- The preprocessor used by HelpBlocks is a modified version of gpp. Please
see the gpp web site
for detailed information.
- What if I want a PDF version of my manual?
- HelpBlocks does not support this directly, but you can use an application such as
HTMLDOC to convert
your HTML files to PDF or PostScript.
Back to the HelpBlocks home page